Friday, April 24, 2015

The Video Game Console

What I am going to share with you is surely one of the funniest and yet one of the most embarrassing moments of my life, so far.

Back in my home town, Deoria(U.P), we own an electronic shop.

It actually started as an agency for Nelco Radio, way back in 1973 (The radio you saw in Barfi Movie). As it happened, we couldn't cope up with the changing times and what is left, is a small time sell and repair shop. These days, mostly Dad’s (retired) friends visit the shop as a junction for evening time Tea- Snacks and also a platform to discuss local issues.

We (I, my elder sister and younger brother) feared our father too much. Ironically, dad never beat us for our mischievous acts. In fact he practised non-violence with us. But don’t take a wrong clue from it. He has the power to give long lecturing sessions, non-stop!

That’s where the fear stems from. If disgraceful dialogues could kill, I could have died a thousand times by now. I believe the reason behind not beating would be the same - When he could slap us with his lectures, why to spoil a rod?

Dad’s school schedule was as follows ( No he didn't study till his fifties; he was a lecturer) :-
10:00 AM to 1:00 PM – School
1:00 PM to 1:45 PM – Back to home for a tea break and spend some time at the shop
2:00 PM to 4:30 PM – School
4:30 PM onwards – Home

I was in 07th or 08th standard (that would be 1999-2000). Dad had brought a hand held Videogame console from his recent visit to Delhi. Actually, I and my younger brother had literally begged my father to bring it. There were 2-3 games on it; one was Tetris and another one was Car Racing. I don’t remember the 3rd one. The console was powered by two Pencil Cell batteries. I and my brother played so much on it that the batteries wouldn’t last for more than a couple of days.

It was not more than a week since we had our toy that we were showered with tons of lectures on the topic, that how this console was ruining our life and how we would end up opening a Pan Shop, or a Grocery store, among other things. The console’s battery was almost over and I and my brother were craving to play.

Saturdays used to be the day when school would get over early. If I remember correctly, it closed around 12-12:30 PM. According to my plan, if I left school at 12:35 and reached home by 12:45, I would’ve beg mom to give 10 Rs so that I could get a couple of batteries, then would go to the nearby shop to buy them and return by 1:00 pm. The plan was perfect. Dad usually got home by 5 past 1(1:05 PM).

The plan of the schedule was tight but I had to take the risk. I was using my sister’s cycle as my cycle was puncture. As per plan, I left the school, as soon as I could. For most part of the journey (from my school to home), I was cycling in an upright standing position for maximum speed. Not once did I rest my bums on the seat! As soon as I reached home, I threw my clothes, wore shorts, t-shirt, begged mom for mercy and pedaled my way to the market. I bought the pencil cell, pedaled back, but alas; I was late. Fate was cruel to me that day. Dad was already standing on the counter of the shop and he saw me.

He signaled his hands to come over. Obstinately, I cycled myself all the way to the counter, crossing the big open drain which is just outside the shop. Dad asked me, “Where have you been?”, “Had your lunch?”

I told him that I went to meet a friend and expectedly, dad didn’t buy that. He asked me to show my pockets and I said nothing’s there, but he was adamant to check my pockets.

As soon as he tried to open the counter of the shop to come outside, I tried to drift my cycle and run away. I don’t know what went wrong, but the next moment I know, I was in the drain! Cycle above me, all muck covering my face, body and hair. The drain was around 5 feet deep (almost of my height at that time) and 5 feet wide, but in non-rainy season, its level is generally around 3 feet, enough to drench me, not enough to drown me or take me with its current.

We had 2 working staff at that time and they both ran towards the drain. As they were trying to lift me up, I could hear my dad say, “let him be there for another 5 minutes”.
I couldn’t believe my ears! Then he continued, “he was being too smart, he should learn a lesson”
I was angry as well as distressed, so, If I would have opened my mouth, the drain sludge would have entered my mouth; all I could do was to make a squealing sound while my mouth was closed!

Finally I was lifted up, and was made to wash myself with mud in the garden area. Then the maid was deployed to wash me and she literally washed me like a dirty linen. A lot of shampoo and a new bathing soap was sacrificed to cleanse me up. I ended up having cold due to the long procedure, and was still being lectured till late in the evening.

It has been more than a decade and half but the memory is still so fresh that sometimes I can feel the sludge all over again :P

The whole incident taught me one thing, if you think you are smart, remember that your parents are smarter! Do Not Lie, especially if you’re a kid, since you've nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.


No comments:

Post a Comment